✓ USDAILYWIRE

🚨 SEARCH INTENSIFIES: 2 Inflatable Tubes, Pink Shoes & Fresh Footprints Found in Muskegon River Mystery

Posted by Team - August 9, 2026

Search crews in West Michigan continue looking for two women and a 9-year-old boy who went missing after going tubing on the Muskegon River earlier this week. Authorities say they have recovered two inflatable tubes believed to belong to the group and are examining footprints found near the scene, but the three individuals remain unaccounted for.

The missing are Jazzmin Hock, 28, of Muskegon; Sarah Vida, 28, also of Muskegon; and Kayden Kovalcik, 9. They were last known to be on the river near the Maple Island Boat Launch on Tuesday, August 4. Michigan State Police were notified on Wednesday, August 5, after a relative of one of the women was unable to reach them and later located their vehicles parked at the boat launch. One of the vehicles had a broken window.

Investigators recovered two pink and orange inflatable tubes that may have been used by the group. Footprints discovered in the area are also being evaluated as part of the ongoing investigation. Despite these findings, intensive searches by land, water, and air have not yet located Hock, Vida, or Kayden.

Family’s Growing Anxiety

Brent Kovalcik, Kayden’s father and Sarah Vida’s ex-husband, spoke emotionally at a press conference about the uncertainty surrounding the disappearance.

“I don’t know if they’re alive. I don’t know if they were kidnapped,” he said. “I don’t know if they’re down the river, far, far away. It’s been nearly two days, and no one has any clue.”

Kovalcik described the emotional toll of the situation. “All I have is millions of questions, and all I’m hearing is silence because there’s no one that has a clue of what’s gonna happen, or what started it in the first place,” he told reporters. Referring to a recent pH๏τo of his son, he added through tears: “The last picture I got of my son was four days ago, of him at Craig’s Cruisers with Sarah, having a great time. That might be the last picture I ever get.”

Có thᝃ là hÏnh ảnh vᝁ câu cå, thuyᝁn, thᝧy v᝹c và văn bản cho biết 'TROOPER PER PER'

Expanding Search Efforts

Multiple agencies are participating in the search, including the Michigan State Police, Muskegon County Sheriff’s Office, the Department of Natural Resources, local fire departments, and other partners. Trooper Zach Murphy said crews are continuing surface searches on the river and expanding land-based efforts with additional drone ᴀssets.

“We are currently waiting on some additional information to broaden our search, but as of this moment, we are going out with the Muskegon County Sheriff’s Office, the DNR, as well as the Michigan State Police and a few other fire departments,” Murphy said. “We’re going to continue our surface searches. We have some additional drone ᴀssets throughout Muskegon County, the Muskegon Game Area that we are also going to be putting up to start the land-based search as well.”

Search boats have been operating along stretches of the Muskegon River, including areas from the Maple Island Boat Launch toward the Causeway, roughly 11 miles away. Officials have noted that water levels on the river are currently low, which can affect both search conditions and the movement of objects in the current.

Authorities have asked the public to stay away from active search areas so that first responders can work safely and effectively. If additional public ᴀssistance becomes necessary, officials say they will make that request.

How the Case Began

The investigation started when the father of one of the missing women found her vehicle at the Maple Island Boat Launch with a window smashed out. Family members reported they had been unable to contact any of the three people since they went tubing. The group is believed to have been using the orange and pink tubes later recovered by search teams.

The Maple Island Boat Launch is located in Newaygo County, approximately 16 miles east of Muskegon and about 20 miles west of Newaygo. The remote and wooded nature of parts of the river corridor has complicated search efforts.

Call for Information

Anyone who may have seen Jazzmin Hock, Sarah Vida, or Kayden Kovalcik, observed the pink or orange tubes, or has any information that could ᴀssist investigators is asked to contact:

Michigan State Police Hart Post: 231-873-2171
Newaygo County Sheriff’s Office: 231-689-7303
Newaygo Central Dispatch: 231-689-5288

As of the latest updates on August 7, the three remain missing. Search operations are continuing with a combination of boat, ground, and aerial resources while investigators examine the recovered tubes, footprints, and other physical evidence found near the boat launch. Family members and authorities continue to urge anyone with information to come forward.

✓ Team

Search crews in West Michigan continue looking for two women and a 9-year-old boy who went missing after going tubing on the Muskegon River earlier this week….

Leave a Reply